5.13.2008

Travel Tip #5 - Use 3-1-1

After 911, scurity is stricter than ever. Gone are the days when you can bring your own bottled water or drinks through the security screening and into the boarding gate. The Transportation and Security Administration (TSA) imposed a rule that you can only bring in liquids that is 3 ounces or less. There are exceptions like baby formula, medications, etc. which needs to be declared. A good rule of thumb is that if it does not fit a quart-sized plastic baggie, then you should pack it with your checked-in luggage, not in your carry-on bag.


On my return trip from the Philippines, I went through Narita airport and I didn't know that I had my Lubriderm lotion in my carry-on. I was supposed to put it in the side pocket of my luggage but obviously I forgot to do it. The security person in Narita confiscated my 95% full lotion, what a waste. I hope someone brought it home and used it or else, it's a complete waste. LOL Anyway, everytime I travel I always re-read these travel tips from the TSA. Always remember that passengers in all flights going to the United States has to conform with this 3-1-1 rule.

Make Your Trip Better Using 3-1-1
- 3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3 ounce bottle or less (by volume) ; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3 oz. container size is a security measure.
- Consolidate bottles into one bag and X-ray separately to speed screening.
- Be prepared. Each time TSA searches a carry-on it slows down the line.
Practicing 3-1-1 will ensure a faster and easier checkpoint experience.
- 3-1-1 is for short trips. If in doubt, put your liquids in checked luggage.
- Declare larger liquids. Medications, baby formula and food, breast milk, and juice are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint.
- Come early and be patient. Heavy travel volumes and the enhanced security process may mean longer lines at security checkpoints.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :o)