I heard about this warning from Good Morning America today. This parasite commonly found in swimming pools are resistant to chlorine. Tell your children not to swallow pool water and remind them of proper toilet hygiene.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) warned parents not to let a parasitic pest spoil a family trip to the pool.
Health experts are concerned about a chlorine-resistant parasite called Cryptosporidiosis or Crypto. The CDC said Crypto is the leading cause of recreational water illnesses, and more of those illnesses were reported in 2007 than ever before.
Crypto can cause diarrhea, stomach cramps, dehydration, nausea, vomiting and fever. Experts said people with weakened immune systems are most at risk for severe or life-threatening complications.
The CDC warned because Crypto is resistant to chlorine, it can be a problem even in pools that are properly maintained.
To reduce your family's risk of infection, the CDC recommended:
Reminding children not to swallow water while swimming.
Not allowing children to swim when they have diarrhea.
Taking a shower before swimming.
Washing hands carefully after using the restroom or changing diapers.
The CDC also encouraged pool operators to use supplemental disinfection, in addition to conventional chlorine and filtration methods.