4.02.2008

3rd Graders Planned What?


I was really shocked when I heard on the news about what nine 3rd graders from a school in Georgia planned to do to their teacher. Here is a newsclip from the Associated Press:

WAYCROSS, Ga. - A group of third-graders plotted to attack their teacher, bringing a broken steak knife, handcuffs, duct tape and other items for the job and assigning children tasks including covering the windows and cleaning up afterward, police said Tuesday.

The plot by as many as nine boys and girls at Center Elementary School in south Georgia was a serious threat, Waycross Police Chief Tony Tanner said. The scheme involved a division of roles, Tanner said. One child's job was to cover windows so no one could see outside, he said. Another was supposed to clean up after the attack.

The purported target is a veteran educator who teaches third-grade students with learning disabilities including attention deficit disorder, delayed development and hyperactivity, friends and parents said.

These kids are the same age as my daughter! I cannot even imagine her having thoughts that are remotely close to what these kids are thinking. They said that the children were upset and hatched a plan to hurt the teacher after one child was scolded for standing on a chair. This child was told to sit at the back of the class as a punishment. The state of Georgia does not have any kind of law that will punish these children so that means they will not go to Juvenile Hall (prison for teens).

What were they thinking? These are 8 and 9 year old kids, they shouldn't be even thinking of violent thoughts like these. I do not have an idea on what kind of neighborhood they are living in or from what kind of families they are from. Could it be that they live in an area where violence is so common that they thought it is the only solution to their current problem?

This is really scary, isn't it? I've been reading about violence in schools and it seems the ages are getting younger each time. I do hope that these kids will get the help that they desperately need. Educators and parents need to work together to confront these problems.

I think that these kids should face some sort of punishment. They need to learn that their actions have consequences and they need to pay for it. They shouldn't get a slap on the hand and go on living their lives.

What do you think, should they be punished and what kind of punishment should they get?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Barb.

    first of all.. nalito ako when I heard this news last night. I asked hubby if I heard the age wrong?. I said..where is the world going to? This is so young to have to be even thinking about gathering all the tools.

    Both of us couldn't believe our ears and eyes. I got goosebumps everywhere on my body and perhaps in my tounge and probably under my feet!

    I felt as if I want to give them belt. Just like my father used to do for me when I did bad things. Bad things that I did wasn't this extreme. It was the fact not turning in my tuition fees when I needed to instead I used it to rent bikes.. Or other bad thing was when he learned I had a boyfriend that didn't even kiss me..

    I think this really have to be look into VERY hard. I can't say what they should get right off the bat since there are many issues that comes with it when it comes to giving children punishments.

    You can't put them in the time out chair anymore.

    I hope they would have a follow up news as to what they kids are getting in terms of punishment at least the people will know..

    I just can't imagine if my nine year old is even thinking about it let alone have all those things/ tools gathered.. To me there has to be an adult that guided these children to have to do this. But maybe I am just in "daydream" mode thinking this kind of age are just angels.. I am way too nice.!

    I am sorry, I didn't answer your question.

    I should be really worried of how and whom my son hangs out with.. But all in all I think when the kids gets lots of lovin around them I think they will be more into possitive things to do or think..

    This brought me of thought right now. I shall ask my nine year old today about what he thinks about it and why and what punishment they should get? Very insteresting yet scary..

    Good luck to all mothers out there! I can't ignore of feeling scared..



    Monalisa..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true. I also made a post about this. Very scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mareng barb, what? I didn't even see the news or reading it. I was shock about this 3rd grader class. I can't believed how they could think about attacking their teacher. Oh my god. Please help them. I don't think this kids can go to prison or anything because they have all kinds of disability other than send them to juvinelle that has a lot of help. I don't know what the school didn't notice what is the reaction to this children. They're too young to think about this terrible bad thing. I was assisting 2 in special need class for 3 days. The kids is just really need help and I love to help them. What I notice the teacher when the student wont listen while the teacher is discussing in front to the class. They will send the student out in the call and stand in the hall way in the door, but about a minutes. The teacher will come out and talk to the student. That's how the student will learn. They should be punish and put them in rehab. It is scary to think that we have also grade school kids.
    We still put our son in time out when he did something bad or don't listen to us. I also took away his computer, ps2, tv for 2-3 days. I'm glad it work out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Mona Lisa! LOL Ikaw talaga, sarap kurutin. haha Tama ka nga, it was hard to believe that kids thought about this. I hope they get help and not turn out to be thugs when they grow up.

    Hi Lou, thanks for reading my post. Everyone is shocked by this story, it's so sad too. :(

    Mareng Lan, nabasa ko rin that their teacher was very sad when she heard about the plot to harm her. Nakakaawa rin mga teacher, they should pay them more $ considering they educate and train our kids di ba?

    ReplyDelete
  5. we talked about this at work and i got a big argue with my co-worker because he thinks its funny. i made him to shut up and said to him you better watch out, you have a little girl to look after.

    I'm not sure what kind of punishment would be but seriously they need some help.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :o)